Friday, December 20, 2013

Thing Two?

Two days after coming home from Montreal, I was on the road again! This time to the Schenectady County Community College, to take a Biology CLEP test. I passed, so now I have 4 lab science credits at UVM! I stayed the night at my Aunt Peggy and Uncle Ron's house in Loundenville.
The following morning I took the train from Albany to Syracuse, which was probably the most relaxing mode of transportation I have ever taken. I was also surprised to find a lot of deaf people and high school musicians, all heading to Rochester.
I spent the next few days in and around Chittenago, New York. The main highlights were spending time with my relatives, learning who the Knicks were, and crying through a theatrical production of A Christmas Carol. My brothers then made fun of me by saying, "Louisa, a play and a water park!"
After the play, we were driving down Erie Boulevard in Syracuse, which is the extreme version of South Burlington, when my mom suddenly spotted a Polish market. We stopped, and were amazed at not only the inventory, but also how most of the costumers were from Poland, Ukraine and Russia. Also, the clerk kept on telling us not to get this because there was no flavor, or don't get this because it's stale. But, he also said that most of the inventory came from Green Point, an Eastern European neighborhood in Brooklyn.
Sunday we came home, but I was there for only an hour packing. I then went to my aunt's house in Norwich, so that I would be ready to commute the next morning to my Wilderness First Responder course on Lake Morey. That Monday, I was the last one to arrive, because of the weather, so that was a little awkward. Then I realized that I was the youngest in the class, and the least experienced! Everyone introduced themselves as being EMTs in Alaska or guides. When it finally came to me, I was so intimidated, that I just said that I took a WFA course in October. I felt like nobody needed to hear how I was on my gap year, and was in an outdoor based experiential learning program at my public high school in little Brandon, Vermont. I did drop things about myself here and there, but nothing too extensive, over the next ten days. But, I was there to learn, not to socialize, and I did acquire knowledge! I learned how to monitor vital signs (heart rate, respiratory rate, etc.), clear the spine, form a traction splint, and how to make a makeshift liter.
In the beginning I felt like I was behind and didn't know what I was doing, mostly because I had no past medical work, but by the end I felt like if I really ran into someone that was critically injured
in the woods, that I would be able to help them the best that I was capable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment