Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Like A Rollingstone

I'm going to make this post sweet and short, since I have little free time this week, and so that I can get some sleep tonight! So I will make a series of short, yet descriptive lists!
Here we go:
Last Friday- Had a free day before my DELE Speaking Exam
  • Went to Hospital de la Carridad, Archivos de Indias, and the Casa de Pilatos
  • Hospital de la Caridad- thought it was a museum that used to be a hospital, but turned out that it still is a nursing home
    • There were all of these old men directing me into random directions
    • Nobody was there!
  • Bought a HUGE 50 cent pastry
  • Went to Archivos de Indias
    • Building that has all of the documents from the early explorers of the New World
    • Beautiful building, but VERY dry
  • Casa de Pilatos
    • Old estate that is, actually, now a museum
    • Only walked the ground floor, but want to come again to take the tour of the upstairs
  • Had my DELE Speaking Exam, and thought that it went fairly well, but we'll see in 3 months
  • Couldn't get to sleep until 1, because there was some random party happening in nearby park
Casa de Pilatos

Saturday
  • Did the rest of the DELE exam
    • Surprisingly easy, but like I said, we'll see what I get for a a grade in three months
  • Went to Madrid
    • Champions League Final was that night
    • Should have known it was a big deal, after talking with the guy I sat next to on the train, who was going to the Real Madrid stadium to watch the game on a huge screen
      • Game was in Lisbon
  • Met with Isa, the daughter of a work colleague of my parents, and her husband José
    • Never met them before, but they were very nice and welcoming to me!
  • Walked around Madrid, which is so much prettier in the sun
    • Saw tons of people hooting and hollering in their Real or Athletic Madrid attire
  • Watched the game that night 
  • Everyone was CRAZY in the street afterwards!
    • Everyone was CRAZY in the street afterwards!

Sunday
  • Went to a volleyball game
    • Made me realize how much fun athletic events are!
  • That evening I went with Isa and José to the local voting station
    • Was the European Elections
    • Am surprised how few people actually voted in Europe, especially considering that ¨Your Vote is Your Voice!!¨
This weekend, I just kept on thinking of Dr. Seus's, Oh, the Places You'll Go! I know that it's graduation season, so this book is being read all over the world, but I find it incredibly applicable to my life now. Being an exchange student has certainly had it's ups and downs, but I have seen some spectacular things and met some amazing people over these past few months. Tomorrow is the graduation of the my grade, 2nd Bachillerato, and I can't believe that a year ago, I was in their shoes. I can't believe that I am doing the stuff that I am doing! A year ago I was terrified to go into a store by myslef, or drive a lengthened time, but now I am traveling alone, staying with people that I have never met before, and going to museums and stores by myself in a city that I am not incredibly familiar with! So let me end this post with a quote from Oh, the Places You'll Go! “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” 
That's all folks, and until next time, this is the rambling Louisa Jerome signing off!
Me at the center of Spain

No comments:

Post a Comment